Skip to content

Rockabilly D.Va (Artwork by Andrew Tran)

I love Overwatch. I love retro fashion. I love mashups and crossovers! When you put them together, I’m probably going to cosplay it (or really, really want to cosplay it). There was a really fun piece of fan art made by Andrew Tran (@doctaword on Instagram) called Rockabilly D.Va. I found out about this illustration when Shellshocked Cosplay shared it with me since he could imagine me cosplaying it, and he wasn’t wrong lol.

rockabilly-dva-andrew-tran-overwatch

Since I only had two weeks to complete it before SDCC and I just felt like doing more of a casual cosplay, I decided to use the clothes that I already had in my closet. The shirt was just slightly altered: I made the sleeves shorter so that I can easily roll them up and then sewed in the D.Va patches that I made myself.

The wig I got is actually a two-toned wig from EpicCosplay Wigs because I  thought that style would be a lot funner than having a solid color wig. One side of it is light brown and the other side is dark brown.

 

dva-patch-hand-stitch-thumb

Patches

  1. I’ve recently been taking an interest in hand embroidery so I decided to utilize that method to create my patches. I used a printable version of Sticky Fabri-Solvy and printed the D.Va bunny logo on it.
  2. I did a satin stitch in the pink areas. If I had plenty of time to work on this (which I didn’t), I would’ve used a long and short stitch first and then sewed a satin stitch over it. You’ll see why in the end. :/
  3. I had to “fill” in the white by using a long and short stitch. Unfortunately, I’m really bad at it and hopefully I’ll improve on this with time.
  4. This is after I had dipped my patch in warm water to dissolve the Sticky Fabri-Solvy paper. Soaking it in water ended up leaving a “dent” in the pink areas. of the patch This is because the area underneath the pink threads were basically hollow. Using a long and short stitch beforehand in the same areas would’ve prevented it from distorting the satin stitch, probably.

This tutorial really helped me in making these patches. 🙂

 

rockabilly-dva-bandana-wip-thumb

Bandana

  1. I couldn’t find any similar fabric that would match the bandana in the artwork so I made my own using pink fabric, painter’s tape and Tulip fabric paint.
  2. I mixed the paint with water so that the stripes wouldn’t be solid white. I wanted it to be slightly translucent which worked out pretty well.
  3. After the first set of lines had dried for about an hour, I made another set of lines. This time, it would be rotated 90 degrees and the lines would be smaller.
  4. When I had finished painting the pattern and waited for it dry, I tried it on and realized that the direction of the pattern was incorrect. Rotating the pattern to 45 degrees would’ve been more accurate to the artwork (so I will probably remake this once I get the chance).

 

rockabilly-dva-cosplay-headset-thumb

Headset

  1. I glued two thin strips of EVA foam together.
  2. Using a heat gun, I curved the head piece as much as I could.
  3. To attach my headset, I hot glued a metal hair clip on each side. The outer “claw” of the clip goes directly into my wig and fastens securely and discretely when worn.
  4. For the pink bows, I used this tutorial. This photo was taken after I had worn the headset to SDCC so the bow on the right had gotten pretty flat during transport. :/

 

Yay, all done!

I wore this for just a few hours at SDCC 2016. I had no makeup test prior to this and I had completely forgotten my circle lens/contacts so I feel like my face could’ve looked a bit better. Otherwise, it was super fun to wear her at the SDCC Overwatch meetup!

These photos have all been taken by Paincakes Photography.

overwatch-dva-rockabilly-cosplay-4-thumb

overwatch-dva-rockabilly-cosplay-3

overwatch-dva-rockabilly-cosplay-1

overwatch-dva-rockabilly-cosplay-5

overwatch-dva-rockabilly-cosplay-2

Published inCosplayVideo Games

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *